Would you like to be part of our dynamic team?
We currently have vacancies for a principal 2nd violin & Principal Cello.
As an ideal candidate, you will be an enthusiastic, excellent musician (ideally of equivalent experience to first-study string students from London conservatoires) with experience of leading a string section. You’ll have good organisational and interpersonal skills. Experience of fixing and organising would be advantageous.
These roles will give you valuable experience of leading and managing a section, working closely with our professional leader, John Crawford, the other string section leaders and our conductor Chris Stark. You would also be part of the group planning ERSO’s future and our exciting projects (our high quality education work with children and our ERSO Talent programme which provides developmental opportunities for emerging professional musicians
These are paid, self-employed roles lasting for a 2-year period commencing January 2019. Fees will be £35 per 3-hour rehearsal and £80 for the concert day, equivalent to around £1200 over a 12-month season.
- Leading and managing the section effectively, including setting desking & working with the leader to decide on bowing.
- Fixing the number of players requested by the leader for each concert and recruiting new players on an ongoing basis.
- Regular communication with the section, ensuring everyone, particularly new members, feel welcome and valued.
- Chasing up any absentees from rehearsals and fixing replacement players if necessary.
- Attending all rehearsals or, on limited occasions, providing an appropriate deputy.
- Attending and playing a part in committee meetings held on rehearsal days, helping to manage the running of the orchestra, plan future seasons and deliver our education projects with children.
- Supporting the leader in running string sectionals.
- Based on feedback from previous role holders, the new violin role will involve fixing & managing the 2nd violin section and alternating between leading the 2nd Violins and acting as Deputy Leader on a concert by concert basis.
- Violin role only – standing in for the leader of the orchestra in rehearsals and concerts with regular opportunities to lead when the Leader is present to benefit from the Leader’s feedback.
Skills and experience required:
- Enthusiastic, excellent musician
- Experience of having been a section leader would be highly advantageous
- Strong leadership abilities
- Ability to work well with others and build a strong team feeling within the section
- Highly organised with good attention to detail
- Fixing, administration and project management experience would be highly advantageous
- Highly punctual and reliable
- Good communication skills
We will hold auditions which will be similar to those for professional orchestras. Candidates will be asked to prepare a movement from a classical concerto plus a contrasting piece. The audition will also include orchestral excerpts, sight-reading and a short interview. All candidates who are auditioned may request comprehensive feedback.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a short CV and covering letter detailing your experience and suitability for the role.
CLOSING DATE FOR THESE ROLES – SEPTEMBER 30th 2018