ERSO paid string opportunities – Deputy leader, principal 2nd violin, principal cello
We currently have vacancies for a deputy leader, principal 2nd violin and principal cellist. These are paid, self-employed roles lasting from January 2016 – May 2017 (with an option to extend to November 2017).
The roles will give the holders valuable experience of leading and managing a section or a chance to consolidate existing skills. The section leaders will work closely with our professional leader, John Crawford, and professional conductors and will gain experience of working with our committee to help to run an orchestra.
The ideal candidates will be enthusiastic, excellent musicians (ideally of equivalent experience to first-study string students from London conservatoires) with experience of leading a string section, who possess good organisational and interpersonal skills. Fees will be £30 per 3-hour rehearsal and £70 for the concert day, equivalent to around £1000 over a 12-month season.
- Leading and managing the section effectively, including fixing, setting desking & working with the leader to decide on bowing.
- Supporting the leader in running string sectionals.
- Deputy leader only – standing in for the leader of the orchestra.
- Attending all rehearsals or, on limited occasions, providing an appropriate deputy.
- Attending and playing a part in committee meetings held on rehearsal days.
We will hold auditions in October 2016, which will be similar to those for professional orchestras. Candidates will be asked to prepare a movement from a classical concerto plus a contrasting piece. The audition will include orchestral excerpts, sight-reading and a short interview. All candidates who are auditioned may request comprehensive feedback.
Please contact email@example.com with a short CV and covering letter detailing your experience and suitability for the role. The deadline for application is 7 October 2016.